Friday 10 July 2009

Thursday doesn't even start

You'll be pleased to hear that I kept my promise to my feet. We did a grand total of 2.6 miles - walking to the bus stop at Dalwhinnie.

I had originally thought to go just a short ride to Kingussie, one of my original stopovers, rest up today and then continue. But, my feet have already pulled the trump card on me and refused to move once before and I don't want it to get that bad again. So, I caught the same bus but went to Inverness and booked into the YH for two nights.

On arrival I asked for directions to the YH. Oh you'll need to get the bus, it's much further than it looks on the map. How far would that be then? Oh 20 minutes....... I didn't even garmin it but no, it wasn't that long, strolling on sore feet carrying my rucsac. In fact, I even walked back into town, depriving the bus company of yet more revenue, to shop for provisions.

I liked Stirling - there's lots of history to the place. It had a good feel to it. Inverness, I don't know. It's a town like lots of others but it has a lake with an infamous inhabitant (or does it). Seems like the stuff 'to do' is all around and about and not in town itself. I like the idea of boat trips to see dolphins where the sightings aren't guaranteed. Or that you *might* see seals in the river. Pigs might fly too but I did actually see one at the O2 this year!

The main shopping street is pedestrianised and there was a demonstration of Scottish dancing by some teeny weeny children, accompanied by bagpipes (bloody bagpipes). They were all dressed up in kilts, little waistcoats and so on. Concentrating hard, they did so well, toes pointing perfectly, twirling in time they were excellent. A good aspect to it was that it wasn't just tourists watching, myself included, but locals too.

I don't know how on earth I managed that 20 minute walk again, carrying shopping, but I braved it out. Back at the YH I retired quickly to my cupboard, hiding from the family groups about to descend upon the kitchen for tea. This is something I learned quite early on in this journey! Mind you, going later on you have to work round the mass of foreign students cooking and being noisy.

I don't think we see what our own country/nation has to offer when we live here. In Stirling, the significance of the place in the history of the UK as well as Scotland could be a reason, but I was trying to fathom why a herd of late teen French people would be in Inverness. Any ideas?

Friday, I hope to do a walkette of about ten miles and catch the bus back. Rucsac free, that'll be nice! Then on Saturday about the same again from the turnaround point onwards to meet with Mike. It'll be great to see him again :o))

Yes my feet do still hurt. My decision to rest was justified by a large leakage when I was dressing the right foot this morning :-(


Please sponsor me: www.justgiving.com/womblejog
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment