Monday 13 July 2009

Sunday report - Real Clothes!

We left the free wi-fi hotspot of Alness and made our separate ways forward. Me, on foot, continuing my liaison with cycle route number 1 and Mike driving on to Dornoch in search of our next night's bed.
The weather was 'mixed' to start with and then settled into a familiar pattern. RAIN. Mike started to text from Dornoch, saying how different it was to Alness - champagne in the fridge at the local Spar and real restaurants. But I had to stop the conversation as I didn't want to drown the phone.

The route was pretty flat and very low traffic. A recumbent tricyclist and friend went past, as did a runner who said hello. Of course I replied. A couple of other walkers were sheltering under a tree and we exchanged 'lovely day's.

I saw a grouse! Well it looked like one of those birds on the front of a whisky bottle so I suppose that's what it was. There was a very cute grey calf too, that stood and watched me go by. And I found sheep that didn't run off just because I was on the other side of a fence or wall to them. Perhaps my sheep-friendly body language is improving.

Mike found me about a mile before Tain. On his bike, he was sodden. I had thought he would be perfectly justified in driving to lunch and then letting me continue alone. We had a discussion about who was mad. Score draw I think!

Tain appeared to be another one of those towns that was shut but we finally found the Sunflowers Cafe and dripped our way in for some lunch and a rest. Weather was bit drier in the afternoon and we got to Dornoch. 20.7 miles done.

Mike had warned me that the b&b was 'characterful', the first quirk being no breakfast! It was in one of those lovely stone built villas that I'd been walking past for days, so it was great to go in one. The proprietor was aged 80 and had run the place for about 20 years, which is possibly when it was last decorated. But it was like going to stay at your favourite uncle's. We could make our own tea and coffee in the conservatory and use the lounge for tv or just ... lounging. There were oil paintings, prints of horses, family photos and all sorts, including table tennis trophies. The owner I think liked to meet people as much as being bothered to run a b&b. Like many people, he had led an interesting life - been homeless and on the streets of Hammersmith as a youth, worked in aerospace and been a union person, been on a Concorde test flight. We had a chat about Tony Benn who he had met several times through his union involvement.

In the evening we had a lovely meal at Luigi's over the road. We were their last booking at 8.30pm - us and our London ways. We had champagne and wore real clothes, as opposed to technical kit in need of a wash. Mike had brought me some stuff to wear at the end of the walk, so I broke into that. I even had some jewellery to wear as I'd picked some up in M&S Inverness to go with my dress for the Queen's Tea Party!

In the morning, we were presented with a little book of Mr Landlord's favourite clippings, quotes and general pieces. What a wonderful chap!

Posting this a little late as now Mike's here, well, I've got better things to do ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment