Thursday 9 July 2009

Fek me, didn't mean to do that!




You remember yesterday I said today's plan was to go shorter? It didn't go to plan....

The breakfast at b&b was good, probably the most I've had and I even squirrelled a couple of mini Baby Bels for later.

First bit of the walk was pleasant - some ups and downs and the weather couldn't make up is mind. At 7 miles, I stopped for a coffee at a beautifully positioned hotel at the end of Loch Tummel. For the princely sum of £1, I got a pot of coffee, comfy sofa with a glorious view, advice from the receptionist and use of the loo (of course). Mind you the advice was "It's very hilly that way", "There's not much along the route" and "I can't see where there would be any accommodation". She was lovely and wished me good luck.

I went on to my intended lunch stop where there was indeed bugger all. So for the second it was a picnic lunch, this time propped up by the side of the afternoon hill. Morning's total 12.86 and the weather still indecisive. Unfortunately, I don't want to wear my rainjacket when walking hard ie uphill as I end up damp inside it within seconds. And as I finished lunch it started to rain. Again.

What turned out to be the first part of the afternoon's stroll was steep uphill, along some mild undulations and down again for about 4.5 miles. It was windy and occasionally wet. I finally decided to stick the hood on my head, tie the sleeves round neck and use the jacket as a sort of rain poncho as necessary. You can tell I'm up there in the glamour stakes ;-)

Then I started the search for non-existent accommodation. However, man in a house was very helpful and advised me of a b&b in the right direction, only ten miles away. Oh how I laughed. He didn't have the number for them and I set off, not daring to think what I'd do if they were full.

I then spent the next 3 hours considering what I would do... Thoughts included: cry, offer to sleep in the dog basket/shed/garage/car. The route was on a traffic free cycle path adjacent to the A9, so no dodging traffic. But I wouldn't want to take my bike on it - the surface varied from ok (occasionally) to dreadful, get off and carry your bike. There were Sustrans notices up saying they'd negotiated non-motorised only use of the path. Shame they hadn't asked for a decent surface. I did learn later that the path has been there since 2000 and it was alright to start with.

Sods Law made sure of a good downpour before I reached the Balsporran Cottages where there was a vacancy

My feet really didn't want to do 27.68. No, not at all. I have given them a nice soak and promised not to do much at all tomorrow. They hurt.

There was lots of scenery again :o) and, even better, network coverage so I could catch up with Mike and Megawomble (who got home today).

Please sponsor me: www.justgiving.com/womblejog
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment