Wednesday 8 July 2009

Hills

Cornwall I discovered had some severe undulations but, until today, I haven't had to walk up a proper hill.

This morning started well. About a mile and a half up the road, with forest to the left and fields to the right, a deer exited the trees, paused in front of me then trotted across the road and leapt gracefully over the fence. On the small side, a light reddish-brown colour, no horns. Aww. I was happy!

I did 13 in the morning and had my first picnic lunch, sat by a bridge in someone's garden! The grass was still damp when I spotted this patch of concrete. There didn't seem to be anyone home, so I plonked myself down. Of course, then I saw movement and dashed over to ask if it was ok. Which it was. People aren't phased by my odd requests! I'd already been allowed to use the loo next door. I was amazed that in the middle of nowhere with about three houses huddled together that I found two people home.

It was a good place to rest too as the first mile of the afternoon was relentlessly uphill. The scenery was again spectacular, rugged hills away off into the distance. It was quite windy and for the first time I walked wearing a thin fleece on top of the usual single layer. I'd gone back to trousers too, having been in shorts for a few days now.

The afternoon's 5 went really quickly - I'd given myself permission to start looking for a place to put my head when I'd done that. Going down steep hills is as bad if not worse than going up them and I had both today. And on single track roads where there was no choice but for me to stop to let the occasional vehicle past. My bum has reduced but it still seems to block the way ;o)

I found myself in Kenmore at one end of Loch Tay, beautiful. The Kenmore Hotel is Scotland's oldest inn, apparently. It also seems to think a lot of itself with prices to match. Snooty girl on reception said no, no other accommodation round here you'll have to go to Aberfeldy. She failed to mention the Village Information place bang next door which had a very helpful folder where I found this fabulous b&b in Coshieville, 3 miles along the road and right on my route.

Only downside to Coshieville is the mobile coverage is dreadful. So no catching up with Mike or anyone else. Megawomble may be back from the US but I don't know. It's been strange :-(

I did 22.02 in total. My feet ache and there are new small blisters and leaking things (no pictures I promise). My calf muscle was still tight this morning but it was alright eventually. Tomorrow's plan is a bit less I think.

I've targetted my last day to be Thursday 16th now. As I won't have done the whole walk I'm feeling a bit more flexible about what I do. Although I still want to walk as much as I can!!!

Please sponsor me: www.justgiving.com/womblejog
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment