Wednesday 1 July 2009

Nearly in Scotland

Finally, I've moved on from the home comforts of Kendal. Only to find I have a stalker! A young man, reminiscent of Wurzel Gummidge after a wash, tried to chug me for the RSPCA in Kendal the other day. Today, I get to Carlisle and he's here again still chugging. Thing is he spots me, stops to chat! I told him to stop following me :-)

I caught the bus by the scenic route. Well, why not? I even went upstairs (which is a big deal for me) to make the most of the views and it was worth it. Today has been hazy and I thought we were supposed to get stormed on but the only rain has been while I was in the pub having my dinner (mushroom, sweet potato & spinach stroganoff with rice and garlic bread). It was wonderful, seeing the lakes in their glory, the fells all craggy and green and unpredictable. I'm afraid I can't tell you which ones unless I look at the map. Who cares, it was beautiful.

I saw a big bird of prey, might have been a buzzard but could have been anything. The tv says there are nesting ospreys but I don't suppose it was one of them. I was amused to see the sheep lolling about in the heat, seeking shade by a wall or under a tree. Why do some of them still have their woolly jumpers on? Even the cows looked hot and I've seen them surviving in the Outback!

Stone walls, the place is full of them. Snaking about, up ridiculous slopes, winding along, who made them, when? They are a true feat of engineering and effort. Sheep, or the land, must have been highly prized to want to build miles and miles of stone wall by hand.

I was supposed to be staying at the YH but the Tourist Info lady in Kendal didn't know the nugget that the Carlisle one did - it's in university accommodation and doesn't open until Monday. Oops. So I'm in a very plush b&b with sky tv, en suite and everything.

Tomorrow I plan to hit the road again. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Please sponsor me: www.justgiving.com/womblejog
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment