Saturday 11 July 2009

Saturday's Gray

I hope you're following the song lyrics.....

Said farewell to the nice people at Inverness YH and plodded off in the direction of the bus station. I really should learn not to do shopping when I'm in the same place for a couple of days. So, it was back to Duncanston Crossroads except this time it was sunny. So I spent a few minutes at the side of the road applying sun cream (the first time in a few days) and rediscovering my hat before setting off.

Nothing too exciting to report until I saw my first signpost for John O'Groats at the beginning of the Cromarty Bridge. Nine miles to Alness, 109 to JOG. As we're staying at Alness, that means there's about 100 to go. Once on the other side of the Cromarty Firth I thought 'seals'. Don't know why, except that they are alleged to visit Inverness. Anyway, I saw some almost straight away, on the beach. I have a photo or two but there won't be much more than some indiscriminate lumps to show you but I know they're seals :-)

I then departed the shore and headed inland on cycle path number 1. It was ok but a little annoying. I think a designer had been at work. When it got to a lack of space on one side of the road, there signs and fences and all sorts to get you to cross the road (cyclists dismounting of course) to follow the path. Anyway, I got to Alness in the end 10 and a bit miles from Duncanston.

I walked past the first b&b. Well, you do, don't you. Then there was the Commercial Hotel, not sure about that one. Keep going. Reach Station Hotel but they don't have an en suite twin or double. Err, what's the Commercial Hotel like? Ahem, better than this place, actually, came the reply. Do you have their number? So, the Commercial Hotel it is, in a family room, so beds for everyone, including the cat. If she were here. Mike arrived about an hour and a half after me, so not bad timing really. At least I had a chance to wash!

We weren't sure about eating here, but in the end a quick recce of the High Street found us eating on the premises after all. The locals are friendly, in that they all seem to know each other in the bar. We weren't quite sure why one chap kept looking at us, but we didn't hang around long enough to find out. Mike wasn't wearing his North Face clothes, so it wasn't that.

So, he's snoozing and I've nearly finished writing this. Posting is courtesy of a free wi-fi connection. Whatever that is.......

Tomorrow, the delights of Dornoch. I'm told it's "Do (as in dog) noch" rather than "Doorknock" which I kept saying.

Keep smiling, cos I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment