Sunday 28 June 2009

The Kindness Of People

Even before I set off on my journey, I was struck by the kindness of people. Not just those I know and love, but folk I'd never even met or spoken to.

By the time I left home, a forum chum had offered a bed for a night (thanks Andy). I also had lined up use of a cottage south of Bristol (where I took the photos on the morning I stopped walking) because I had e-mailed a company asking for help as I needed somewhere in their vicinity. A couple on a working farm had also responded to a letter seeking help (I found them on yell). My ex-in-laws (you know what I mean) own the flat in Kendal where I am currently resting up.

Along the way, it's been the same. Chirpy responses to my polite requests for tap water, sometimes returned with ice and once with some strawberries as well! A couple of cab drivers who've not charged the meter rate (can you imagine that in London?!).
I've really not mentioned the fundraising side of the effort at all unless asked directly as this is as much a personal challenge as anything else (although my colleagues were fighting over who should get the proceeds as I left - even the legacy team!). I've still had two people give me cash donations.

And since I've been hobbling about all sorts of people have been offering help! My stereotyping of a group of young people drinking in the afternoon at the Harvester was completely disproved when one of the chaps carried - unasked - my rucsac when I decamped onto the grass from my lunch table.

Let's hope the Scots are just as lovely as I'm going to be there for quite a while!

Of course, I know one Scotsman who's done more than anyone else already :o))))


I also shared a giggle in the street in Kendal yesterday passing a man struggling up the pavement while I was gingerly making my way down, realising how hopeless we both looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment